Thursday, February 27, 2014

Movie Review: Gravity


Gravity Poster.jpg

Gravity
1. Short review: -- Worth a rental, not more.

2. Long review:
2.1. What I liked: Sandra Bullock. That's good, because SB and the SFX are the movie. The cinematography.

2.2. What I did not like: The physics. There are more inaccuracies than Wikipedia points out, but the glaring one is this:
“When Kowalski unclips his tether and floats away to his death to save Stone from being pulled away from the ISS, several observers . . . contend that all Stone had to do was to give the tether a gentle tug, and Kowalski would have been safely pulled toward her, since the movie shows the pair having stopped and there would thus be no centrifugal force to pull Kowalski away.”
     I understand literary license to change facts; that is, it ain't truth, it's fiction. I have used it myself. But there are limits and Gravity exceeds them.

2.3. Who I think is the audience: A lot of people but not everybody.

2.4. Are the movies appropriate for children to see? I suppose so. It has shots of dead people, but the kiddies are watching The Walking Dead, so what the hey?

2.5. On the basis of viewing this movie, will I pay to see the sequel? No.

2.6. Rating and the plot in a nutshell:

2.6.1. How I rate movies:

-- I want my money back.
-- Worth a rental, not more. <-- Gravity (for the cinematography)
-- Worth first-run theater price once.
-- I will pay first-run theater price to see it again. 

Running time: 91 minutes.

2.6.2. The plot.

2.7. Other:

     Gravity grossed north of $700 million in theaters. Rumors are that SB's payday was $70 million. I think she earned it.
     The cinematography was stunning. It tried not to call attention to itself, but it was so well crafted that at one point I said out loud, "God, that's beautiful." And the Oscar goes to Emmanuel Lubezki.
    
     Maybe it's just me and since the gate was $700 million that's likely, but I found the story boring. Gravity is Lost in Space with debris collisions substituted for the Robot flailing about as he cries, "Danger! Danger!" That and Gravity has better SFX.

     YMMV.

2.8. Links:
IMDb review, Rotten Tomatoes review 

No comments:

Post a Comment