Sunday, June 30, 2013

Movie Review: Pitch Perfect





1. Short review: 

2. Long review:
2.1. What I liked: The humor and, surprisingly, the music.  Pitch Perfect is a fun movie.

2.2. What I did not like: The fact that I missed it in theaters. The poster.

2.3. Who I think is the audience: Everyone.

2.4. Is the movie appropriate for children to see? Yes.

2.5. On the basis of viewing this movie, will I pay to see the sequel? Yes.

2.6. Rating and the plot in a nutshell:

2.6.1. How I rate movies:
-- I want my money back.
-- Worth a rental, not more. 
-- Worth first-run theater price once. 
-- I will pay first-run theater price to see it again. <-- Pitch Perfect

Running time: 112 minutes.

2.6.2. The plot in a nutshell:
     Beca Mitchell (Anna Kendrick) is a rebel. She rebels against her father's wish for her to go to college . . . but she goes to college. Where she joins a girl's a cappella singing group to rebel against her father's command to join some group on campus. This group, the Barden Bellas, lost last year's International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella when their soloist, Aubrey Posen (Anna Camp), blew a big technicolor yawn over the audience. Beca rebels against Aubrey's tight-fisted control of the Bellas.
     Hijinks, college-style sexual encounters (as portrayed by the movies), misadventures.
     Aubrey surrenders the pitch pipe to Beca, and the Bellas win the ICCA.
2.7. Other:

     I saw this on pay-per-view. I loved it. 
     I was half asleep when my wife said, "Let's see a movie." She flipped to the VOD on cable and clicked her way through the selections.
     I mumbled, "Whaddaya wanna see?"
     "Comedy." She stopped at Pitch Perfect. "You like this?"
     I didn't care. I figured a movie would give me a chance to sleep. So I replied, "Sure. Let's see it."
     When the intro began, I knew this was something different. I woke up; watched every minute of it, amused and entertained all the while; and sat through the end credits praying for Easter eggs.

     I see the movie grossed $65 million in the US and $45 million more abroad. I hope it made money.

     Big, big kudos for the screenplay writer, Kay Cannon. Brilliant. 

     YMMV.

2.8. Links:
IMDb review
Rotten Tomatoes review

No comments:

Post a Comment