Friday, July 19, 2013

Movie Review: Oblivion





1. Short review: 

2. Long review:
2.1. What I liked: The cinematography. The acting.

2.2. What I did not like: The story -- I copped to the plot a quarter of the way in. The poster above -- the poster makes Oblivion look like a The Book of Eli wannabe.

2.3. Who I think is the audience: SF fans. 

2.4. Is the movie appropriate for children to see? Yes.

2.5. On the basis of viewing this movie, will I pay to see the sequel? No.

2.6. Rating and the plot in a nutshell:

2.6.1. How I rate movies:
-- I want my money back.
-- Worth a rental, not more. <-- Oblivion
-- Worth first-run theater price once.
-- I will pay first-run theater price to see it again. 

Running time: 124 minutes.

2.6.2. The plot in a nutshell:
     Click the link above for the plot.
     This movie comes complete with its own telegraph. When the camera framed a Scav for the first time, I knew at that instant that things were not as Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) reported. I even foresaw the happy reunion at the end. 
2.7. Other:

     I saw this on VOD. I found it worth the price I paid. I am glad that I did not pay first-run theater ticket prices.
     The movie starts with a data dump that I found annoying. The purpose of the dump is to give the history of events that brought the world to its current state.
     The cinematography was strong. The acting was strong. Those two things make the movie, 'cause I wrote better stories when I was twelve.
     “Oblivion” is first and foremost a visual experience, a movie to be seen rather than a puzzle to be deciphered, its chief pleasures are essentially spoiler-proof. -- Justin Chang, Variety

     The movie grossed $285 million worldwide. Would it have made that money without Cruise? I don't think so.

     YMMV.

2.8. Links:
IMDb review
Rotten Tomatoes review

No comments:

Post a Comment