Monday, January 8, 2024

Dingfelder's: Beef Tongue on Rye (Six of six)



Link to Dingfelder's Delicatessen 

You may think beef tongue is an acquired taste. It isn't. Not if the tongue is done right. 

To do tongue right, it has to be 1) cooked right and 2) sliced right. 

Dingfelder's does tongue right: Just cooked and sliced paper thin. 

Bought the sandwich on Thursday. Friday, the sandwich du jour was the chopped liver, and you know about that already. Tongue took Saturday in the schedule. 

Except Saturday we flew out of SeaTac at oh-dark-thirty. Changed planes once and flew home. Or as close as we could get. Snuck the sandwich through customs and got on the train to go home. 

My wife gave me grief about sneaking a sandwich through customs, but halfway into the train ride, hunger overcame her habit of civil obedience. She asked me to share the tongue sandwich. 

It was a good sandwich. Don't have to make allowances for the day it sat in a refrigerator and the day it spent travelling in my luggage. It was good. 

Here I have to pause and say the sandwich lacked something. Don't know what. I think next time I shall swap the rye bread for an onion roll. The mustard was okay, but I think next time I shall try a different spread. Note that I will not add or subtract anything from the meat. The meat was as close to perfect as it could be. I have eaten tongue many times, and never had I better than that on Dingfelder's sandwich.

Wife enjoyed it. So there's that. 

Beef tongue on rye: A 

+++++ 

The Question you have been waiting for. 

Will I choose Dingfelder's Delicatessen again? 

Yes. In a New York heartbeat. 

If I eat the same things again -- gribenes, latkes, Reuben, Chopped liver on onion roll, Beef tongue (on onion roll this time); borscht (maybe not) -- I will be happy. 

But variety is the spice of life, so next time we shall get the Pastrami. I will still get the chopped liver, because it is SO good. Now, my favorite sandwich is the Reuben and Dingfelder's is the best I have eaten, so keep that in mind when I tell you I want the chopped liver again. 

How much was it, you say? 

IIRC the price on the Reuben was twenty-eight dollars. Steep for a sandwich. 

Was it worth it? Did it give value for the dollar? 

Oh! yes, and then some. And isn't that what matters? 

Want to go on a Wednesday, 'cause I like lentils, or a Friday, 'cause I like cabbage soup. Yeah, really I do. 

Wife wants to see Alaska this summer. All the flights to Anchorage I see have stops in Seattle. Betting chance (2 to 1, maybe 3 to 1) that we will stop and ask Vance Dingfelder for sandwich suggestions. Maybe meet the Unseen Steve. 

Yeah, I say Dingfelder's is a good place to spend your money. If you like great sandwiches, you will go away happy. We did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment