Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Dingfelder's: Chopped Liver on Onion Roll (Five of six)

 



An apology.

I took no photos of my food at Dingfelder's deli. My bad. Worse, I found no photos of chopped liver on onion roll on the internet. What you see above is a chopped liver sandwich on the left and onion rolls on the right. Please imagine those together minus the rye bread and the lettuce. 

We sat with Vance and ate our gribenes and latkes, and Vance gave us his mother's chicken soup to sample. I told Vance I wanted to enter my order for sandwiches and asked him for suggestions. He in turn asked for my choices. I answered, "Reuben, chopped liver, and beef tongue." Vance agreed those were good choices and asked what bread I wanted. I said, "Rye for the Reuben, and what do you suggest for the chopped liver and beef tongue?" 

Vance said, "I think the liver is best on an onion roll, but the onion rolls weren't good yesterday. Lemme check and see if they are good today." He stood and disappeared into the kitchen where -- according to legend -- worked the Unseen Steve chopping meat. Vance returned and proclaimed today's onion rolls good. 

Looking back, Vance's concern with the quality of the onion rolls may have been a ruse. Why do I think that? I have searched Dingfelder's online menu and pictures of Dingfelder's menu boards but cannot find any offering of a chopped liver sandwich. Perhaps Vance used the time he alleged to spend checking the quality of the onion rolls to set a price for a choppped liver sandwich and communicate that to Olympia. If he did, I thank him for that courtesy. 

It is called chopped liver, but it looks more like pureed liver. And it all sticks together by some kosher magic. We did not finish the Reuben at the deli and we took the remainder of the Reuben and the chopped liver sandwich back to the hotel to enjoy later. And the tongue sandwich, too. 

Next day, I unwrapped the chopped liver sandwich. The meat that lay between the split onion roll was two fingers thick. I cut the sandwich in two. Surprise, surprise! The liver held together. 

My wife is a professional chef, but she does not like organ meat. Not just liver. She feels the same about heart, kidneys, tripe, brains, and sweetbreads. She knew this was chicken liver, but I persuaded her to sample it anyway. She loved it! Devoured her half and asked for more. Disappointed to find there was no more. 

On the menu or no, I encourage you to order a chopped liver sandwich. On onion roll. Dingfelder's chopped liver sandwich is delicious. 

Chopped liver on onion roll: A++ (This is really, really good!) 

Next: Beef tongue on rye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment