Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Dingfelder's : Borscht and Dr Brown's Root Beer (Two of six . . . I combined some posts.)

 

*

Link to Dingfelder's Delicatessen

We arrived at Dingfelder's on a Thursday. Soup-of-the-day was borscht. Was not always borscht. I saw a photo of Dingfelder's menu from years back on Yelp that gave Harvest Vegetable as the soup for Thursday. 

When I ordered, Ari told me that this was the summer borscht and asked if I still wanted the borscht. I said, "Sure." Had never heard of summer borscht. How does summer borscht differ from winter borscht? Or fall borscht? Or spring borscht? 

There is a difference. Dingfelder's summer borscht uses gold beets. Big surprise for me. Never had gold beets before. Until that moment, I did not know gold beets existed. 

Summer borscht looked nothing like the red beet borscht I like. Looks more like a vegetable soup. Hmm. Shades of Harvest vegetable, what? On the plus side, the textures were good. Not overcooked and mushy, not undercooked and chewy. On the minus side, I tasted vinegar. That was the dominant note. My wife took one taste and never touched the borscht again. The vinegar was a deal killer for her. 

Dr Brown's Root Beer. I like root beer. FWIW I like sarsaparilla, too, but that's a rare find. I like ginger beer, too, and have been meaning to brew some. 

Anyway, Dingfelder's displayed the sodas they offer. Dr Brown's Root Beer was one of 'em. Decided to try it. Glad I did. Whoever chose this drink for Dingfelder's did well. Good taste but not brash. Not too sweet. Excellent choice. 

Borscht: B+ 

Dr Brown's Root Beer: A 

Yelp photos of Dingfelder's food, Dingfelder's menu, and Vance Dingfelder. 

Next time . . . Gribenes and Latkes. 

* This photo I got off the internet. It is not from Dingfelder's. I took no pictures that day. My bad. 









No comments:

Post a Comment