Friday, December 15, 2023

Dingfelder's: Gribenes and latkes (Three of six)

 

First we gotta talk about schmaltz. What is schmaltz? Schmaltz is to chicken fat as ghee is to butter. Don't know what ghee is? Okay, let us try . . . schmaltz is to chicken fat as lard is to pig fat. If you still have questions, click the link. 

I am goy, but I had a good friend who called himself a 'completed Jew.' That is, he converted to Christianity. His heart did, anyway. His stomach still kept kosher. He rendered his own schmaltz and used no other cooking fat or oil. He invited me over to eat with him every week. Most times I accepted. I am familiar with schmaltz. 

When Vance Dingfelder (picture above) related his tale of schmaltz I did not flinch. My lack of response seemed to impress Vance. He told me that once upon a time he rendered chickens for schmaltz. Then some supplier persuaded Vance to give his schmaltz a try. Vance said the outside product was as good as his own, and when he costed out his own production, the outside product came out cheaper. 

Vance switched from house-made schmaltz to outside-supplier schmaltz. Then he found that that cooking copious amounts of chicken soup left schmaltz as a by-product. Thus, he returned to house-made schmaltz, right? 

I dunno. The story was long, and I got lost. In either case, Dingfelder's cooks its gribenes and its latkes in schmaltz. Makes a difference. A big difference. 

'Gribenes (Jewish Chicharrónes) kosher Skins.' That is quoted from Dingfelder's deli menu. For them as know not Mexican delicacies, chicharrónes are fried pork skins. Usually deep fried in lard. That Vance knows chicharrónes suggests that he breaks the Jewish dietary laws sometimes. Gribenes are fried chicken skins. Between the two, I prefer chicharrónes, but my preference is not strong. Do chicharrónes taste better by a preponderance of the evidence? Yeah. By a clear and convincing standard? No. 

Gribenes are pictured above left. Call those golden brown. Dingfelder's gribenes were two shades darker the day we tried them. 

Latkes were next (pictured above right). I have eaten more latkes than I can count. Had a lot of German potato pancakes, too. In my humble opinion, Dingfelder's were the best I ever had. No doubt. I think the schmaltz made the difference. 

Gribenes: A+ 
Latkes: A+ 


Missed the chance to include a couple of pictures last time, and for that omission, I apologize and atone. Dingfelder's pickles and Dr Brown's Root Beer:

 


I really enjoyed Dingfelder's pickles. My only complaint is that there were too few of them with my order. Next time I shall order a to-go container filled with these delicious pickles. 

Never had Dr Brown's fizzy drink before. Surprised to learn that the company has been in business since 1869. Good stuff. 

Next: Corned beef on rye. Do not miss this one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment