Thursday, December 28, 2023

Dingfelder's: Reuben (Four of six)



Link to Dingfelder's Delicatessen 

For them as do not know, a Reuben is corned beef and sauerkraut on rye with Russian dressing. Not a fan of Russian dressing, so I ordered mine with mustard. In my German-blood opinion, the Reuben can be the best sandwich ever made. 

On a Reuben, I want the sauerkraut bone dry. If you lean that way, too, I suggest at Dingfelder's you order your Reuben for take out. I shall tell you why in a bit. 

When I saw the meat in the sandwich displayed on Dingfelder's site menu, I wondered if that was for real and always or just for the photo. 'Cause I been fooled before. 

Proud to say it was for real and always. Big slabs of tender meat. Crisp sauerkraut in the Goldilocks zone: not too strong, not too weak, but jussst right. A thin schmear of mustard that added a hint of heat. 

If not Sandwich Heaven, it is as close as mortals can get. 

Plentiful, too. My wife and I ate half the Reuben and got the other half wrapped for take away. Could be the gribenes and the latkes sated our hunger. Could be. 

The wrap is where the magic happened. 

I ordered three sandwiches from Olympia. Where Ari went I do not know, but Olympia took care of us. She and invisible Steve wrapped my half Reuben in butcher paper and boxed it with pickles and a side. 

Long trip back to the hotel (Embassy Suites-SeaTac). Stowed the sandwiches in the fridge and took a nap. Woke up and pulled the half Reuben from the fridge. I noticed that the wrapping paper was moist. The butcher paper had rubbed against the sauerkraut and wicked away the brine. Left me with bone dry sauerkraut. 

Another step closer to Sandwich Heaven. 

I recommend you get the Reuben for take out and give it some hours for the paper to magic the sauerkraut to bone dry. If that's the way -- uh-huh, uh-huh -- you like it. 

Reuben: A++ 

Next: Chopped liver on onion roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment